small village in the heart of Tuscany
Monteriggioni is located in the center of Tuscany, at the southwestern end of the Chianti region, rises on the so-called hill of Monte Ala and overlooks the Via Cassia-Francigena. Part of the so-called Montagnola Senese presents a very varied territory; around the relief of Montemaggio there are some small plains such as Pian del Lago and Pian del Casone, and the Canneto, alternating with a series of small valleys formed by streams and streams that characterize the central and eastern part of the territory. Monteriggioni is one of the most famous walled villages of Italy, famous all over the world, surrounded by a majestic city wall 570 meters long with a thickness of 2 meters; it is interspersed with fifteen 15-meter towers (one inside the city walls) and two entrance doors: Porta Franca (towards Siena) and Porta San Giovanni (towards Florence). The fortress of Monteriggioni was originally surrounded by the "charcoal pits", a moat filled with coal, which during the assaults was burned to repel the enemies, it is thought that in the past, it was equipped with a drawbridge that had to allow the passage on a now disappeared, external moat. Monteriggioni was also placed under control of the ancient Via Francigena, frequented by European pilgrims who wanted to reach Rome. For the possession of Monteriggioni fought between Siena and Florence in 1244 and 1254. In 1269 after the battle of colle - immortalized by Dante Alighieri in the thirteenth canto of Purgatory (Dante and Virgil descended from Anteo to the ninth circle) - the Sienese vanquished they took refuge in Monteriggioni in vain attacked by the Florentines. On 27 April 1554 Monteriggioni was given treacherously without fighting to the Marquis of Merigliano from Captain Zeti who created a breach in the walls. With this betrayal he determined the end of the Republic of Siena, and the inhabitants of Monteriggioni were made slaves and brought to Florence. Even today we talk about the "ghost of the traitor", the Captain in fact unable to find peace for the ignoble gesture, would act through a hidden tunnel that starts from the Well of Piazza Roma and arrives to Siena, looking for a forgiveness that he will never receive. In the past, the economy of Monteriggioni was based exclusively on agricultural and pastoral resources, the area rich in olive groves, vineyards and interspersed with large woods offered nourishment for sheep and pig livestock, as well as timber and coal. Currently the traditional crops of cereals, grapes and rape and the breeding of horses remain in agriculture, while an industrial development took place in the oenological, chemical, food, plastics and iron processing sectors (carpentry and semi-finished products), of furniture, next to artisan companies that produce ceramics and work wood, marble and granite.
in VETRALLA one hour driving from Rome
The Kingdom of Santa Claus is the project that comes from Love and the Passion for CHRISTMAS of the Aquilani family, known for over 50 years in the wood processing industry (www.aquilani.it). The Kingdom of Santa Claus in Vetralla is dedicated to children from 0 to 1000 years who are not content to live the magical Christmas atmosphere for only one month a year, but instead take it to heart every day transmitting its magic. The Kingdom of Santa Claus gives this dream for a much longer period of time. Over 1000 m2 of Ambient Shop, Magic Atmosphere and Events where to find the most beautiful and unique Christmas decorations from all over the world. Every week the Kingdom of Santa Claus welcomes Christmas enthusiasts and enthusiasts from all over Italy and Europe, becoming the little time among the most popular destinations in the sector. Trees, Lights, Cribs, Gift Ideas and Collectibles, LEMAX Villages and lots of news for young and old! Entry is ABSOLUTELY FREE !! The Kingdom of Santa Claus is open EVERY DAY of the week while stocks last. From Monday to Friday: 9:30 am / 13: 00 - 16: 00/19: 30 Saturday and Sunday: CONTINUED TIME 9.30 am - 7.30 pm
spur of the Gargano, in the cave of the devil
Monte Sant'Angelo (also known simply as "Mònde", according to the local dialect) is an Italian town in the Puglia region that has just under 13,000 inhabitants spread over an area of 245.13 square kilometers. It is located in the province of Foggia, more precisely on a spur of the Gargano in a wooded area, at an average altitude of 796 meters above sea level and within an area known for the spectacular alternation of mountainous terrain and flat terrain: the latter is also directly wet from the sea (think of the fraction of Marina di Monte Santangelo) The history of Monte Sant'Angelo is directly linked to that of the cave of the Archangel Michael, which, according to local tradition, appeared in vision to the bishop of Spionto san Lorenzo Maiorano on May 8, 490, ordering him to dedicate the place to Christian worship . The cave of the archangel Michael was known to the Lombards, who during the seventh century after Christ raised it to their national shrine and also to the Saracens, who sacked it in the year 871. The place became a must for the Crusaders heading to the Holy Land already starting from the tenth century and between the year 1000 and the year 1100 just in its neighborhood began to develop the urban settlement that would become the municipality that we know today. Monte Sant'Angelo obtained the title of city directly from Pope Boniface IX in the year 1401 and was subsequently granted to Giorgio Castriota, also known as Scanderberg: a noble Albanian leader and patriot, distinguished during the resistance against the Ottomans. During the seventeenth century the municipality would have joined the Kingdom of Naples and would have overcome a very severe epidemic of plague, while during the following century it would have started to grow from an urban point of view. At the same time, the history of the Sanctuary mentioned above has continued to welcome dozens and dozens of saints, popes and very important religious figures: starting from St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Catherine of Siena and St. Francis of Assisi, arriving to Pope John Palo II (in 1974, when he was still a cardinal of Krakow).